Memorials & Monuments
on the Isle of Wight
- East Cowes -
- Shedden Esplanade -

Location

Esplanade, East Cowes, Isle of Wight
 
See map on www.streetmap.co.uk
 
Description

A plaque marking the opening of the Shedden Esplanade in East Cowes. The work was undertaken to relieve the unemployment situation in East Cowes following the end of the Great War, which meant that many of the shipbuilding jobs were lost.
Plaque


click to enlarge image 
Inscription


EAST COWES U.D. COUNCIL
THE SHEDDEN ESPLANADE
BUILT BY DIRECT LABOUR AS A SCHEME
FOR THE RELIEF OF UNEMPLOYMENT
AND PRESENTED TO THE TOWN BY
G. SHEDDEN ESQ. J.P.
AUGMENTED BY LAND ACQUIRED THROUGH
GENEROUS FACILITIES GRANTED BY
S.E. SAUNDERS ESQ. O.B.E.
AND OPENED BY
MAJOR GENERAL THE RT. HON. J.E.B. SEELY M.P. D.L.
ON 7TH DAY OF JUNE 1924
- MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL -
MR. A.J. GUTTRIDGE J.P. CHAIRMAN
MR. H. MOGER VICE-CHAIRMAN
COUNCILLORS -MR. J.W. ROGERSON
MRS. M.C. BARTONDR. J.R. RYGATE
MR. E.E. CHIVERTONMR. J. TAYLOR
MR.MR. J.K. TURNER
MR. B. HALLASMR B. VENNER
MR. J.C.W. DAMANT
CLERK TO THE COUNCIL
MR. J.S. KNIGHT M.R.S.INST.
SURVEYOR

 
The obliterated name is probably MR. G.R. FLOOD

click to enlarge image 
Acknowledgments

Thanks to Antony Barton for the photographs
Page Status

Page last updated 23 Jan 2015 - added to website


 
 

 
Site designed by Community Internet Services