Memorials & Monuments
on the Isle of Wight
- Bembridge : Palmer Memorial -

Location

At Bembridge Point : Embankment Road / Station Road, Bembridge, Isle of Wight, PO35

See map on www.streetmap.co.uk
 
Description

The memorial is a drinking fountain made of granite and other stone.
It is of four faces, with a drinking fountain or horse trough in each alcove of the faces.
There are two inscriptions, on the north east and south west faces.
A weather vane in the shape of a sailing ship surmounts the memorial.
The Palmer Memorial

The Palmer Memorial

The Palmer Memorial

The Palmer Memorial

The Palmer Memorial SW inscription

The Palmer Memorial SE inscription

The Palmer Memorial moulding detail

The Palmer Memorial SE moulding detail

The Palmer Memorial NE inscription

The Palmer Memorial NW inscription

The Palmer Memorial windvane

The Palmer Memorial windvane

Inscriptions


(North East side)

TO
THE MEMORY OF
THE REVEREND
JAMES NELSON PALMER
M.A.OXFORD
LATE RECTOR OF YAVERLAND
ISLE OF WIGHT

PAST GRAND CHAPLAIN OF ENG.
UNITED GRAND LODGE OF FREEMASONS

PAST GRAND SOJOURNER OF ENG.
ROYAL ARCH MASONRY

MEMBER OF THE
ROYAL YACHT SQUADRON

RULING COUNCILLOR OF
PRIMROSE LEAGUE BEMBRIDGE

HONORARY SECRETARY
OF THE LIFEBOAT INSTITUTION
BEMBRIDGE

AND MEMBER OF
MANY OTHER INSTITUTIONS

THIS MONUMENT WAS ERECTED BY
HIS WIDOW, FRIENDS AND RESIDENTS
OF THE ISLE OF WIGHT
IN TESTIMONY OF THE REGARD
ENTERTAINED FOR HIM
IN HIS MANY GOOD WORKS

(South West side)

THIS
FOUNTAIN WAS UNVEILED
BY
THE RT HONBLE
LORD ALVERSTONE
G.C. M.C.
LORD CHIEF JUSTICE OF ENGLAND
ON THE 11TH OF AUGUST 1910
TO PERPETUATE THE MEMORY OF
THE REVEREND
JAMES NELSON PALMER
M.A. OXFORD
BORN JULY 3RD 1832
DIED AT BEMBRIDGE SEPT 7TH 1908



 
Further Information


Primrose League.

The League was founded in 1883 to commemorate the work of Benjamin Disraeli. Its aim was the maintenance of religion, the monarchy, the constitution, the unity of the commonwealth and the improvement of the condition of the people.

From "Archives Inside M25" record

Accessed 15 Dec 2003

James Nelson Palmer in Headington, Oxfordshire

In 1797 Church House was conveyed to James Eldridge, and in 1802 to the Revd James Palmer (who is presumably one and the same as the Revd Palmer who was curate of St Andrew's Church at the time of the Inclosure Act of 1805). Palmer died intestate in 1819, but it was thirty years before Church House was formally transferred to his only son and heir, the Revd James Nelson Palmer of Breamore Rectory in Hampshire. From 1819 to the mid-1850s, Church House was let out, first to the Revd William Oddie, and then to the famous wood engraver Orlando Jewitt, who lived there from about 1838 to 1856. The Headington Rent-Book of December 1850 accordingly lists Jewitt as occupier, and the Revd Nelson Palmer as owner, and its rateable value as £20.

From Headington History

Accessed 15 Dec 2003


 


 
 

 
Site designed by Community Internet Services